Of all the vegan gluten-free cupcakes recipes, this gluten free vanilla cupcake with “butter cream” is one of the best. Whether you follow a special diet by choice or because of a necessity, it can be very difficult to find delicious sweet treats that meet your needs.
As a baker and cake decorator, when I found out that I had to cut out gluten and dairy completely, I took it upon myself to modify my recipe collection to follow my new lifestyle.
Now, don’t get me wrong, I do not always go around eating cupcakes and cookies anymore. But, sometimes I just want to indulge a little, especially after a hot yoga class at our studios in Highland Village, Grapevine, Denton, and Colleyville.
If you are looking for a low-fat, sugar-free, or perfectly healthy cupcakes recipes, this is probably not it. But I PROMISE it will deliver delicious flavor as if you are eating a cupcake from a high-end bakery!
Instructions for Kylee’s Vegan Gluten-Free Vanilla Cupcakes and “Butter” cream
Cupcake Recipe’s Ingredients:
- 1/3 cup earth balance vegan spread, room temperature
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour Blend (or a Gluten Free flour blend of your choice)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp Xanthum gum (can be found at most grocery stores–I bought mine at Kroger)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup soymilk (if you substitute with almond or coconut milk, the texture may vary slightly)
You can get the correct consistency of batter for the gluten free vanilla cupcakes using a handheld or standing mixer. Much like other cupcake recipes, this one uses only a few common kitchen appliances and tools from start to finish such as the following:
- A handheld or standing mixer
- Measuring cups and spoons
- A rubber spatula
- Muffin Pan
- Cupcake Liners
- A small cookie scoop
- A cupcake frosting tip and bag
- A whisk or sifter
- Preheat oven to 325 Degrees F.
- Line 12 muffin tin with paper cupcake liners.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, xanthum gum, and salt in a bowl and whisk together. You may also use a sifter.
- In a standing mixer or large bowl, mix the earth balance and sugar on low until light and fluffy.
- Add the applesauce and vanilla extract and mix until combined. Make sure to scrape the sides of the bowl so there are not large “butter” clumps.
- Add half of the flour mixture and the soymilk, and mix on low. Once most of the flour is mixed in, and the other half of the flour. Blend gently until smooth.
- Pour approx. 1/4 cup of batter into each cupcake liner. I use a small cookie scoop and it fits approx 2 scoops per cupcake.
- Bake for 10 minutes, rotate the pan, and bake for 12 more minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cupcake comes out clean.
- Let cook completely before icing.
Making the Not-So “Butter”cream frosting
And while the cupcakes are baking, you can prepare the delicious not-so “butter” cream frosting. Feel free to work in chair pose just to make sure you are ready for the frosting 🙂 …..
- 1 cup vegan shortening
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 4-6 Tbsp of cool water (until the consistency is smooth but not runny)
- In a standing mixer or large bowl, mix the shortening on low until there are no lumps.
- Slowly began adding the powdered sugar to the bowl, mixing for a moment, and scraping the sides.
- Add the vanilla extract and the first 2 Tbsp of water.
- Add the additional water 1 Tbsp at a time until the mixture comes together but is not runny.
- Once you have added enough water, turn the mixer to med-high (around an 8 on a kitchen-aid) and let mix until very light and fluffy. At this point the frosting will go from an off-white to a much brighter white.
Once your vegan gluten free cupcakes have cooled and the frosting is made, it is time to decorate and enjoy!
Cupcake Tips and Tricks
This recipe doesn’t NEED to change, but variety is the spice of life so here are a few options to mix it up
- In the fall, you can substitute pumpkin for the applesauce, add a little cinnamon and it makes a delicious and subtle spice cake.
- Substitute the vanilla extract in the frosting recipe with coconut for a more summery flavor.
- Mix 1/2 cup of sprinkles into the cupcake batter for homemade confetti cake! (If you follow a vegan or gluten-free diet, make sure the sprinkles you use follow your preference)
Make it your own! Take this recipe and add your own flare to it, and let me know your new creation!
I hope you enjoy this easy vegan gluten free vanilla cupcake recipes. Make sure to leave a comment on any variations you have for this great recipe or other feedback.